Most owners start small businesses because they are technical experts in some service area, or they have a great idea about how to provide better, more affordable, products. We appreciate that most small business start because people are excited about the work, their craft; not because people are excited about learning how to run and manage a business. In fact, we know that it is impossible for hard-working business owners to go out and obtain all the advanced degrees and experience in business management, leadership, organizational development, and human resources necessary to figure out how to tactically manage and lead a business. We hope to save you some time, by giving you these eight (8) signs you can use to help you measure and compare the health and wealth of your business (against your competitors and against your own ideals and dreams).
Small businesses that exhibit all of these signs generally survive 20 times longer and earn 50 times more than those that don’t.
- A standardized, systematic, behavior-based hiring process that includes a work sample and/ or a realistic job preview.
- An on-boarding process that covers everything a new employee needs to know to achieve all expectations in your business’ and industry’s culture.
- Methodical means of collecting, analyzing and interpreting meaningful information about your customers’ needs and satisfaction with your products and services.
- Methodical means of collecting, analyzing and interpreting meaningful information about your employees’ needs, engagement, and performance within your business.
- Strategic and inclusive communication and change management plans for large projects, for each quarter, for the year, and for the long-term.
- A knowledge management system and process that preserves your cost-saving and profit-earning discoveries and sparks more earning and performance innovations among your work teams.
- A behavioral compensation and employee awards system that rewards and retains the most qualified and highest performing employees.
- A well articulated and frequently reviewed succession plan that consistently increases the worth of your business.
All businesses have dreams. With the right support, some businesses achieve beyond those dreams. We can help−starting with our free diagnostic consultation.